I have become an incompetent speller: I can’t spell “khichdi” without first googling it, and then copying and pasting the spelling. Brain, wherefore art thou? Grad school, what have you done to me?
In times of desperation, I make this.
So far, I’ve made khichdi about 4 times this week. I make this only because a) it’s delicious and b) it’s laughably simple. Mrs Y. should credit me for my stroke of ingenuity.
Rice cooker Khichdi (one serving)
1/4 cup yellow dal/mansoor dal
1/4 cup rice
2 cups water (add more if needed)
Salt to taste
1 tsp Ground cumin
1 tsp Ground coriander powder
1/2 tsp Paprika
Handful of frozen vegetables
- Soak dal for 30 minutes before cooking
- Put rice, dal and 1.5 cups water in rice cooker
- Check the consistency after 10 minutes
- Towards the end of cooking, add in 0.5 cup more water. Add more for a dilute consistency.
- Add in the spices and frozen vegetables
- Let it sit for 5 minutes in “keep warm” mode.
The vegetables should cook quite quickly in the heat of the rice cooker. I typically use frozen broccoli or cauliflower, but feel free to add whatever you please.
Cheap, ridiculously easy – and healthy! – food. Trust me, if a hapless grad student is capable of this, you can too!