I know it sounds like whenever I cook for my brother it is a bribe, this is really not true. No it isn’t. This time it was only part-bribe to let us play videogames when we visited his apartment, and part-thank you for letting us stay in said apartment.
A thank you that I hope lasted at least 4 days, as it was in danger of being finished within one sitting. Please don’t eat 500g of pasta in one sitting, it somehow seems a little scary. Imagine a pasta-monster, and by that I mean a human-sized macaroni with arms and legs. Scary, right? Don’t do it. Even though the mac and cheese is tasty enough to.
Anyway this was a pretty easy recipe which I later passed on to my bro (I was expecting it to be much harder!)
Easy Mac & Cheese
Adapted from the Kitchn
- Note the basic ratio of milk to cheese is around 1:1.5 to 1:2, with a couple of tablespoons of flour (any type – corn or normal).
A 500g bag of pasta – small shapes are better because they hold the sauce
1.5 cups milk
2 – 3 cups cheese – cubed is fine, or grated, it just needs to melt.
2 tablesp flour – corn or all purpose
0.5 – 1 teasp black pepper, to taste
Salt to taste
A dash of chilli flakes
Mix-ins: see below. I used leeks and lamb sausage.
- Cook the pasta.
- Warm 1 cup milk over medium heat in a pot.
Mix flour into the remaining ½ cup of milk
When steam starts to rise from the hot milk in the pot, pour in the rest of the flour-milk mixture.
Whisk / stir until it thickens to the consistency of cream / custard.
- Drop the heat to low.
Stir in the cheese, pepper, salt, and chilli flakes. Mix until all the cheese is melted.
Taste and season as needed.
- Turn off the heat and dump all the pasta + additional mix-ins into the pot.
Stir well until the sauce coats the pasta.
(Eating can start here J )
- Optional: Put into an oven proof dish and top with more cheese – parmesan works nicely.
Put it in a toaster oven / oven at around 200 deg C for 20 minutes or so until the cheese topping crusts and browns.
In terms of mix-ins, I added the following:
- Wash leeks. Slice and fry in a little oil until soft and a little charred at the edges.
- Lamb sausages
- Fry lamb sausages and slice. Set aside.
You can really add anything you like though.